Carrots Chantonne - a variety of French breeding. Popular in Europe, Asia, America, among the ten best types of carrots for cultivation in small areas and large plantations. It has universal application, often grown for sale due to its good quality characteristics and attractive appearance.
Description carrot varieties Shantane
Carrot variety Shantane - mid-season, ripens in 90-110 days. Productivity is high, 5-9 kg of carrots are collected from a square meter. It is grown in regions with different climates and soil types. There is resistance to cracking. Twisted, ugly specimens are very rare.
Carrots of Shantane are flat, conical with a blunt end, 10-15 cm long and 4-6 cm in diameter
Fruits of the carrot variety Shantane are even, conical with a blunt end, 10-15 cm long and 4-6 cm in diameter. The weight of one carrot ranges from 150-200 g. Root crops are fully immersed in the ground, the head does not turn green. Rosette sprawling, powerful, green. The color of carrots is orange, the flesh is dense, the core part is mild. The taste is sweet, very pleasant, the kids happily eat it even raw, without sugar. In the composition of 5.5-10% sugars, 25 mg of carotene in 100 g of product.
There are several varieties of varieties: "Shantane", "Shantane Royal", "Shantane Royal", "Kuroda Shantane", "Chicago F1", "Shantane Squire", "Shantane Red Heart", etc. All these subspecies have a similar appearance, characteristics, and methodology of cultivation. But they also have obvious differences, so when choosing a variety, you need to carefully study the packaging of seeds.
How to grow shantane?Read also these articles.
- Nipple Drinkers for Rabbits
- How to collect tomato seeds
- How to store cabbage in the cellar in winter
- Kuchinsky anniversary breed of chickens
To grow carrots of Shantane is very simple. Place on the landing choose solar, allowed only "walking" penumbra. Ancestors can be onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage and potatoes. Seeds are sown immediately in open ground or greenhouse. The sowing period is in spring (mid-April - early May). In the southern regions and greenhouses can be planted since the beginning of April. Shantane, like other varieties of carrots, is frost-resistant, in any case, late frosts will not harm crops.
A 3-4 cm deep groove is dug out, and seeds are sown into it in single file.
It is possible to sow by any convenient method (on paper, special machines, dosing seeds, etc.). More often, it is still simply sown in a row, and later thinned. To do this, dig a groove with a depth of 3–4 cm and sow seeds in it. It is important not to thicken the crops. Now it remains only to sprinkle them on 2-3 cm of earth and water. Watering is carried out on top, with a watering-hole with small holes so that the earth is not washed away.
What are the features of care for the brand?
Caring for carrot varieties Shantane not difficult. It is even easier than in the case of cultivation of some hybrids. So it is not necessary to spend a lot of time or forces.
Carrot care Shantane
- Watering, cleaning of weeds is carried out as needed.
- Weeding is carried out from time to time. It is made with a small hoe or other similar tools to a shallow depth in order not to damage the root crop.
- As Shantane grows, 4 supplements are given with a break of 2-3 weeks. For the first time in 3 weeks after germination of superphosphate (1 tbsp. L.) And urea (1 tsp.). The specified amount is dissolved in a bucket of water. The second top dressing is made from nitrophoska (1 tablespoon of the substance per 6 liters of water), the third one includes only ash solution. For the fourth time, use 2 g of boric acid per 10 liters of water.
- Shantane has large root crops, they need a place for development, therefore, it is possible to thin out 2 times during growth. The first time it is done with the appearance of 2 leaves (between the sprouts leave 2-4 cm). The second falls on the period when the roots have already formed, but have not reached the desired size (5-7 cm between sprouts). Excess carrots are pulled and consumed for cooking and fresh salads.
- Root crop of Shantane should be completely submerged in the ground. If, as it grows, it begins to protrude above the ground, be sure to sprinkle it on top of the ground. The reason is that the ingress of sunlight leads to the accumulation of corned beef and the taste of carrots because of this deteriorates.
Harvesting and storageWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Grade apricot Khabarovsk
- Long-awaited grape variety
- Lyubasha's garlic
- How to breed geese at home
Harvesting and storage
The crop is harvested at one time, it is wiped off so that there are no sticking lumps of earth, it is folded for further storage. Chantanne carrots are suitable for storage in basements and cellars with good ventilation. In the winter you can also freeze it. At the same time, culinary experts advise immediately to crumble carrots or grate them.
Application is universal. It can be eaten fresh, used in conservation for the winter (salads, juices), cook (fry, stew, cook, etc.).
Reviews of carrots Shantan
Maria Bevz: We have been planting this variety for ten years already; every year we gradually buy more seeds so that we can plan for future use. Carrot Shantane is very sweet, for which my grandchildren love her very much. In the care is not demanding, I advise everyone.
Evgeny Bereza: Shantane carrots are very well kept in the basement, I plant a lot, then resell for 30-50 kilograms to the cooks for cooking carrots in Korean. I am not experimenting with other varieties, as this one suits everything.
Svetlana Parkhomenko: I really love the carrot variety Shantane, it is sweet, the flesh is very juicy, the root vegetable is kept for a long time. I plant in the wetted soil, I sprinkle a little ash on each well. During the summer I thin out, necessarily loosen the soil between the rows and remove the weeds. Drink plenty of water. The fruits of the carrot Shantane grow large, with a rich orange color.