Vaccinations are given to piglets from birth, because pig diseases are very dangerous not only for the animal itself, but also for the breeder. Preventive measures such as vaccination can reduce the risks and simplify the maintenance of pigs in the compound. What vaccinations do piglets, when, how and for what will be described in detail below in the article.
Why vaccinate pigs?
Diseases of pigs are very unpredictable. Some pass unnoticed, others lead to the death of the animal, and still others can cause a real epidemic. There are also such afflictions that affect the quality of meat and fat, and they will not be eaten later. Diseases of young pigs are terrible because they can lead the young to death.
Experienced breeders carry animals to the vet and make a full range of vaccines.
Any pigs who have died from the disease can not be allowed to strip! This is, of course, forbidden in all countries. And who would take the risk of eating the meat of a sick animal? All this leads to large losses of the breeder, may adversely affect the business. But, in addition, a sick animal can harm a person. There are a number of diseases headed by worms, which are quite often transmitted from pigs. That is why experienced breeders, without thinking about what vaccinations they do to piglets, carry animals to the vet and make a full range of vaccines against all the most common and well-known ailments.
What vaccinations do newborn piglets need?Read also these articles.
- Ruyan strawberry variety
- Grade Eggplant Vera
- Rex Rabbits
- Pigs of breed Duroc and their characteristics
The first vaccine for newborn piglets is an injection of iron for anemia. Do it from the third day of life crumbs. Drugs like Ferroglyukin or Ferraninimal are used for this, but the vet himself always prescribes the drug, since in different cases different substances are needed (for the most part, the breed of pigs and the characteristics of childbirth play the role).
The first vaccine for newborn piglets is an injection of iron for anemia.
For each piglet taken 2 ml of solution at a time. All you need is 3 shots, each is done every 24 hours, but, that is, the full course lasts 3 days. You can choose any time for the injection, but they usually do it in the morning in order to observe the state of the pigs throughout the day. Inject the drug by the eye, intramuscularly.
Iron deficiency anemia can also be prevented by introducing solutions of copper vitriol (1.5 g) and iron sulfate (15 g) into the diet. The norms specified in brackets are taken per liter of warm, boiled water. Each piglet is sucked daily for one teaspoon of this substance for 3 weeks.
What vaccinations do you need to do?
From about the tenth day of life, piglets are considered sufficiently strong for more serious and important vaccinations. What vaccinations do piglets necessarily listed below. However, first of all, it is worth noting that if the breeder does not have papers stating that he spent all these vaccinations on animals, he will not be able to engage in the legal sale of meat and fat.
Among all the vaccinations that make piglets, this is one of the most important!
- From rickets are vaccinated at the age of 10 days. Potassium and calcium are injected into piglets, but this is only a partial prevention. In addition, each mumps is fed with chalk, fish oil. They can be poured into the feed or just drip in the mouth of the young. It is also possible, but not necessary, to give Tetravit vitamins to pigs to increase immunity.
- Salmonellosis, streptococcosis and pasteurellosis are vaccinated in piglets from the 20th day of life. For vaccinations using drugs ATP and PPD. ATP is administered 2 ml intramuscularly twice with a break of a week. Then the procedure is repeated on the 27th day, only the drug is taken already 4 ml, not 2 ml. PPD is administered 3-4 mm per piglet twice - on the 20th day and on the 27th day.
- The plague is vaccinated when the pigs turn 40-45 days old. The drug, which is usually brought by the vet himself, is diluted in 0.9% saline and placed intramuscularly. Revaccination occurs at 85-100 days of life.
- On the 45th day, pigs can be vaccinated against leptospirosis. It is done in 2 doses. The first vaccination is carried out on day 45, the second exactly after 1 week. The drug from the disease is called VGNKI, but there are many variations of it, just this one is used most often and has an acceptable price.
- Erysipelas vaccinated on the 60-70th day. This disease is not only dangerous for pigs, but also painful. Among all the vaccinations that make piglets, this is one of the most important! The vaccine is always dry. She is bred in saline solution and injected into piglets by the ear. The first vaccination is carried out on the 60th day, the pigs inject 0.5 ml, another month later (on the 90th day) a second injection should be given in the amount of 1 ml. The third vaccination is carried out at 7 months (210-214 days). Each pig is injected with 1 ml of the drug in the ear.
Prevention of foot and mouth disease and encephalitisWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Gooseberry variety Ural emerald
- Eggplant Diamond
- Cherry Chocolate
- Ovstuzhenka Sweet Cherry Variety
If you ask the vet about what vaccinations are given to pigs, they are unlikely to include in the list of vaccines against foot and mouth disease and encephalomyelitis. These two vaccinations are not included in the list of mandatory, but they are often done by breeders to their pigs. Prices for them are considerable, but if there have already been cases of disease in the compound these diseases once again you should not risk.
After all vaccinations that make piglets from the diseases listed above, prevention of worms is carried out.
- From Teschen's disease (swine encephalomyelitis), piglets are vaccinated at the age of 2 months. Vaccination is not mandatory, but at the request of the breeder do it. It prevents infection with encephalitis or encephalomyelitis. Mortality from these diseases is 50%. Most often they are exposed to pigs aged 1-3 months, so that it is not necessary to delay the injection, if it will be held at all. Vaccination is done 1 time without revaccination.
- In order to prevent foot and mouth disease, piglets are vaccinated from 2 months. Species up to 3 months injected with 0.4 mg of immunolactone. If it is necessary to inoculate an animal older than 3 months, 0.1 mg of substance is injected into it for each kilogram of weight.
After all vaccinations that make piglets from the diseases listed above, prevention of worms is carried out. It is impossible to neglect this item, since pigs are one of the most famous carriers of worms. To do this, use tools such as Levamisole, Univerm, Ivermek or Tetramizole. It is possible and others who will advise the vet. Conduct the procedure from 2.5 to 4 months!
Is it possible to vaccinate piglets yourself?
It is very difficult for some breeders to call a veterinarian for grafting pigs for financial or other reasons. Knowing what vaccinations do piglets at home, and which require the mandatory presence of a veterinarian, you can greatly facilitate their lives.
The approximate composition of the home veterinary first aid kit for pigs
From the above vaccinations, injections of iron, vaccine against leptospirosis, salmonellosis, rickets, can be made to piglets at home. But you need to do them correctly, with the exact dosage, in the right place, and not where you want. Otherwise, the injection may not work or lead to disastrous consequences.
It is important to note that often the pigs have a negative reaction to a particular drug. This can be expressed in shortness of breath, the appearance of allergic spots, etc. If the breeder himself vaccinates, then most likely he will not be able to cope with the consequences. Therefore, it is important to at least be prepared to have the phone of the veterinarian and to carry out vaccinations in the morning when all the necessary authorities work.