Plum Angelina, she Angelzhino - known, common variety. It has beautiful, rounded fruits, rich skin color and excellent taste. The article proposed a description of the variety, its main characteristics, the method of cultivation and reviews of gardeners who have already grown this type on their plots.
Description plum varieties Angelina
The Angelina plum variety was bred in California. It is late, obtained by crossing Chinese plum and wild quince. Crop harvested around the end of September. A tree looks more like a cherry plum, it grows up to 3 meters high. Crown in the shape of a pyramid, with a wide base. Pagons sprawling, powerful. The foliage is not very thick, rich green color. The leaves are oval, pointed at the top. The buds are white, gathered in umbrellas.
Pulp with a high content of juice, amber, with a sweet and sour taste
The fruits are practically round, but they are barrel-shaped. The mass of cream is 70-90 g on average, although some fruits can reach 120 g. The peel is dark purple with a silver-blue patina. Pulp with a high content of juice, amber, with a sweet and sour taste. Drupe in size is not large, it leaves the pulp without problems.
Characteristics of Angelina plumRead also these articles.
- Merino sheep
- Bee keeping rules
- Schefflera - care and reproduction
- Feed for chickens
The excellent characteristics of the Angelina plum variety have made it a favorite for gardeners in different parts of the globe. What distinguishes this variety?
- The first flowering is usually observed at 2 years after planting. It falls on the beginning of May. And the first crop is harvested as early as 4 years after planting.
- Immunity protects the tree and the fruit from most fungal diseases. When pests invade a tree, it can endure their negative impact, but still processing is necessary.
- The variety adapts well to different weather conditions.
- Plums have commercial quality.
As a pollinator, you can take the plum Friar, Amber, Black, or a columnar cherry plum.
- Fruits can be transported over long distances. If you harvest in time, on the road it does not crumple, the skin does not burst, the natural shine, aroma, delicate texture of the pulp is preserved.
- The tree is frost-resistant, it is not afraid of droughts.
- High yields are observed annually.
Features of growing
Plant a variety of Angelina can be in the spring or autumn, when it is convenient. The place is chosen solar, closed from the wind on one or two sides. Land should be drained, fertile. 1-2 weeks before planting, a pit is made 60 cm deep and 70 cm in diameter. Land for planting is enriched with humus and minerals. At such a pit, 1-2 buckets of humus and 400 g of superphosphate are sufficient, and all the rest is simple garden soil.
Before planting, a support (peg) is installed in the pit, then a slide is made of fertilized soil on which the seedling is placed. After the height has been adjusted, and it stands flat, does not lean to the side, you can begin to drop the roots. Filling the pit, sapling compacted hands, tied to a peg and plentifully watered. Now you only need to ensure that the sink has the right care so that it can fully develop.
- Mulching is not the main, but important part of care. Many gardeners neglect it, and in fact it reduces the number of waterings, makes the land more suitable for the development of the tree and destroys weeds in the near-stem circle. It is possible to mulch the plum immediately after planting with simple sawdust, decorative mulch or something similar. The layer of mulch is 10 cm, for the winter it is increased to 25-30 cm.
- Watering is abundant. In the summer, the ground should be soaked with moisture 40 cm deep, so you need about 5-6 buckets of water under one tree.
- Clean-up circle is very important. From time to time, they clean the mulch so that the ground is aerated, remove weeds, dig up the soil.
Mass cream - 70-90 g on average, although some fruits can reach 120 gImportant! Plum Angelina can not bear fruit by itself. To obtain large yields, it is necessary to plant pollinators near the variety - plums with the same flowering period as the Angelina variety. As a pollinator, you can take the Friar, Amber, Black plum or columnar plum plum.
- Top dressing bring throughout the year. In the spring, it is necessary to bring in ammonium nitrate along with irrigation in the amount of 40 g / square meter. In the fall, you can add 40 g of potash salt and 80 g of superphosphate to the same square of plantings to the ground. But such fertilizers are applied with a break of 1 year. Once in 3 years, the tree is fertilized with humus for digging.
- Trimming is carried out at least once a year. It is necessary to engage in the formation of a tree so that the crown grows neat, and also to carry out sanitary pruning in order to remove damaged, diseased pagons that hinder the development of the tree.
- Plum Angelina has a good winter hardiness. But in order to get big harvests every year, it is necessary to mulch the tree for the winter, and also to shelter the trunk in the northern regions.
Diseases and pestsWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Muscovy Duck Content
- Kuchinsky anniversary breed of chickens
- The best varieties of broccoli with description and photo
- Sheep farming as a business
Plum Angelina has an average resistance to diseases. It can also be besieged by pests, so it is important to know what to do in such cases.
- Rust is expressed in brown spots that form between the veins. Closer to the fall, they become darker. From the outside, they really look like rust. For treatment, fungicides are used, which can be sprayed on the whole tree or on the affected parts. Prevention involves treating seedlings before planting and using exclusively healthy plants.
- Chlorotic ring spots are yellow rings and stripes that cover the leaves. Dark spots appear on the fruit. The treatment is carried out only with special equipment, so that in small gardens the only way to get rid of the disease is to dig and burn the tree. But the disease is easy to prevent, it’s enough to use healthy, non-infected seedlings for planting.
Photo harvest on the Angelina plum tree
- With the appearance of fruit rot on the fruit appear ugly dark spots. To prevent the problem, it is important to spray the tree with iodine solution every 3 days. And if the problem has already appeared, the only method of struggle is to collect the affected fruits and burn them.
These are the main diseases peculiar to the plum Angelina. And now about the pests that can hit the tree.
- Plum moths are caterpillars that eat fruit. For treatment, you need to clean the tree from the old bark, remove the affected fruit, and then spray the entire tree from the ground to the thin pagons with a strong insecticide from the sprayer. As a preventive measure, it is necessary to promptly scrape the fallen leaves and loosen the ground in the near-stem circle.
- Plum sawfly. It can be seen on the brown spots that appear in the summer on the front side of the leaf, and on the back side there is a pink patina. Remove the pest by destroying the affected parts of the plant. For prevention, regular irrigation, soil loosening and insecticide spraying are sufficient.
- Cane aphid can lead to severe deformation of the leaves of the tree, which in turn spoils the appearance of the crop, reduces yields and can even lead to the complete destruction of the plum. Aphis can be destroyed by spraying with special insecticides or mineral oils.
Harvesting and storage
Vintage plum angelina
Productivity from one tree can reach 50-80 kg. Harvesting is carried out in late September. Collect the fruit with special tools or manually climbing a tree up the stairs. After the plums are collected, they need to be processed, sold or determined for storage. At room temperature, ripe fruits can be stored for up to 3 weeks, in a refrigerator or in a cellar - up to 4 months.Important! During storage, the Angelina plums taste, aroma and external qualities do not deteriorate, therefore they are so popular for sale.
The fruits of the plum Angelina have a universal purpose. They can be eaten fresh, used for making desserts, baking. They are also suitable for canning, preparing juices, jellies, jams. Often, plums of this variety are made into sauces and jams, compotes, or simply closed in whole.
Reviews on the plum Angelina variety
Plum Angelina known worldwide. It has good taste, it is easily grown and therefore gardeners rarely speak badly about it.
- Oleg Puzik: "I have never been a fan of plums, because as a child, only Hungarian grew from all relatives. But as soon as I tried Plum Angelina, I decided that she would live in my garden for a long time. The fruits are fleshy, very juicy, and the bone is small. Peel cracks only after overriding, and then, if you pin down, so I collect a little ahead of time, so it is stored longer. The wife of this plum makes delicious compotes and preserves - well, I think this is the most interesting and best variety to grow for myself. "
- Alexandra Golenko: “Angelina's plum is often affected by caterpillars, but if you take care of it properly, the fruits will not be damaged. It’s not difficult to care for the trees, I harvest large yields. food, juicy, sweet, almost sour. "
- Sergey Dashko: “For our family, plum is more a source of income than a favorite delicacy, although we close the jam annually. Angelina has been selected for its yield, taste, fruit appearance and high demand. It is sold equally with other varieties at a high price. Trees require care, but fruitful as it should, so there are no complaints. I can recommend a variety for those who sell plums. "