Among the types of onions known all over the world, the variety Stuttgarter Riesen stands out. It belongs to unpretentious varieties, has a high yield. Due to its characteristic features, the bow Stuttgarter Riesen won the love of gardeners in Europe, Asia, America. Details about the quality of this onion and its cultivation methods can be found in this article.
Description varieties of onions Stuttgarter Riesen
Bow Stuttgart Riesen was launched in Germany. A variety of early ripening. It has a stable genotype, so it is not susceptible to genetic mutations. Suitable for growing in warm and temperate climates.
The taste of onions is intense, bright, medium sharp with a pronounced smell
Ripe onion heads are rounded, flattened slightly on top. Average weight - 130-150 g. Scales of dark straw color or brownish. The taste of onions is intense, bright, medium sharp with a pronounced smell. Receive when growing this variety and juicy, beautiful feathers, bright green color.Interesting! The variety is not recommended for forcing the pen, because it gives a little green. But if you wish, you can plant several heads to get juicy feathers.
Onion Stuttgarter Riesen characteristicsRead also these articles.
- How to store garlic in the winter in the apartment
- Gooseberry Variety
- Why does not bloom Decembrist
The yield, advantages and disadvantages of the variety, its stability and susceptibility to certain diseases, growing conditions, are presented in the general characteristics.
Variety suitable for growing on a feather
- The ripening period is early, so the variety is often used for growing for sale.
- Culture quickly adapts to different climatic conditions.
- There is a high resistance to disease, but the plant can be affected by rot with heavy watering or frequent rains.
- Onions can be affected by pests, but they cause minimal damage and are relatively easy to destroy.
- The variety is suitable for growing on a feather.
- The yield is high, up to 5 kg of crop can be harvested from a square meter of planting, and with good climatic conditions and quality care - up to 8 kg.
- In terms of storage, the harvest is undemanding and lies quite long.
Growing onions from seeds
To grow a variety of Stuttgarter Riesen can be sowing as well as seeds. Since the variety is early, in one season you can grow onions with seeds, having received a full harvest in the fall. To do this, use one of three methods.
In early spring, when the earth warms up to +5 degrees, you can sow seeds
- In early spring, when the earth warms up to +5 degrees, you can sow the seeds. With proper care, until the end of the season they collect high-quality crops. Sow seeds in ridges located at a distance of 15 cm from each other. Seeds (2-3 pieces each) are placed with a distance of 10 cm and sprinkled with a thin layer of soil.
- The second option for harvesting is growing from seed, by sowing before winter. And so that the seeds did not sprout early, you need to sow them already with the first autumn cold, not earlier! The sowing method is the same as in the spring, only on top of the garden it is necessary to mulch 3 cm with peat after sowing.
- Onions can be grown through seeds by growing seedlings. Seedlings begin to do in the second half of February. In order for the sprouts to grow well, you need to highlight it in the evening so that the light day is about 10-12 hours. In spring, the seedlings are transplanted into the ground and the onions are grown using the usual method.
How to plant a bow sev Stuttgarter RiesenWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Watermelon variety Sugar Kid
- Grade Eggplant Bourgeois F1
- Variety of tomato Petrusha gardener
- Broiler ducks
Sevkom grow this onion is much easier than seed. You can plant onion sets Stuttgart Riesen in spring or winter. For the autumn planting time is chosen a month before the first frost. The site for this crop should be sunny, so that in the spring it warms up faster and the onions can start growing. Stagnation of water in the area should not be, you should not plant it in the lowlands, because the variety is prone to rot.
Between the furrows, a space of 25 cm is left, sevok is placed at a distance of 10 cm from each other.
The type of soil can be any for the cultivation of this onion, as long as it is not sour. In order to get large, beautiful bulbs, it is necessary to provide the plant with light, fertile soil. Before planting it is diluted with humus, wood ash and superphosphate. Then you need to dig up the area and level.
Before planting, onions are picked and packed. It is desirable to sow large, medium and small sevok separately, in different rows. All spoiled, rotten onions must be thrown away. It is advisable to warm the onion sets to +48 degrees for 8 hours before sowing. After that, it can be sprayed with a solution of potassium permanganate or blue vitriol for disinfection.
Landing is carried out in long grooves. Between the furrows there is a space of 25 cm. Sevok is placed at a distance of 10 cm from each other. After planting, it is necessary to compact the soil and water it.Important! Landing in the spring is carried out when the earth warms to + 10 ... +15 degrees. Usually this method is used for growing feathers, not turnips, because onions will ripen much longer. Features of landing are the same as when sowing in the fall.
Features care for onions
There are no special requirements for care, but it is necessary to comply with the usual norms, otherwise the harvest will be of poor quality.
Onions are regularly weeded, or planted under agrofibre.
- Watering is carried out moderately, so that the earth does not dry out and not swamp.
- Weeding is done not earlier than 14 days after planting the crop (if the onion was sown in the fall). Beginning in the spring, it is regularly weeded, so that enough air enters the ground.
- The weakest plants can be removed, but not necessarily. Usually they are left to get a pen.
- If the onions were planted in the fall, then a week before the cold you need to lay a layer of mulch up to 5 cm over the beds.
- Feeding is carried out throughout the season. In the spring, it is especially important to introduce nitrogenous substances (urea, manure, mullein). At the end of the spring or in the summer, universal, complex mixtures (nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus) are introduced. More than 4 feedings per year is better not to do.
- Pests and diseases can be prevented by spraying 1-2 times per season. Specialized preparations (fungicides, insecticides) are used for this.
When to harvest
Onions Stuttgarter Risen ripen about 10 weeks after sowing sevka in the ground. And when growing crops through seeds, the crop is harvested after 3.5 months. Once the onions have started to turn yellow feathers, you can begin to remove it. Harvested onions are dried in the garden, and then moved. Sort it by size and quality - all spoiled bulbs are deposited for early use. It is desirable to shorten the roots and completely cut the leaves (feathers).
Harvested onions are dried in the garden, and then moved
Onions can be stored in the basement or cellar. Usually it is put in bags (made of natural fabric), nets, or simply hung in braids under the ceiling. To keep the onion longer it can not be simply put on a cold floor. It is necessary to install a pallet or something similar so that there is a small distance from the floor, and only then boxes or nets with onions are placed.
Vintage universal destination. Suitable for cooking fresh appetizers, summer salads, heat treatment (frying, boiling, stewing). It is suitable for canning, and carefully chopped onions can also be dried.Interesting! Cleaning the onions Stuttgarter Risen is not very convenient because of the flattened shape.
Reviews of varieties of onion Stuttgarter Riesen
Bow Stuttgart Riesen is known for its excellent qualities. And what do gardeners think of him?
- Valentina Golub: “I tried this onion for the first time 2 years ago. I purchased onion sets for sowing in the country house. I bought it in the store, then I sifted it and sowed it in the spring. After planting I watered for several days (I have sandy ground, so the water leaves quickly). he quickly, a pen of excellent taste, used in small quantities for food. Around September, he collected 2 large boxes of onions. He kept very well for several months. The only problem is that it is difficult to clean it because of the shape of the onion. "
- Larisa Bukova: "I experimented with many types of onions, but I think the best is only one variety - Stuttgarter Riesen. It does not only grow well, but also quickly adapts to a variety of weather conditions. It is not difficult to grow it, the main thing is that the earth is loose. Taste is decent, not harsh "I grow it with a sevka, sowing it before winter, and in the spring I plant several onions just on the feather."
- Marina Snow: “I grow onions from Stuttgart Riesen on both feathers and onions. It’s unpretentious, simple, and doesn’t take much time to take care. But I advise those who try to grow it for the first time not to neglect dressing. When applying fertilizers only 2-3 times a year, the yield rises by 50% or more! As for taste, there are no complaints, if it were also cleaned well, it would be perfect! "